Dog Adoption Process
Note: We only adopt to residents of the DC metro area, which includes DC, Prince Georges and Montgomery Counties in MD, and Arlington, Fairfax, Prince William, and Loudoun Counties in VA.
- Weekend dog adoption fairs generally take place on the second and fourth Saturdays of each month
- Meet the dog you are interested in at one of our weekend dog adoptions. Meet-your-match form completion prior to the adoption fair is highly recommended;
Steps to Adopting a Dog from SPCA NOVA
1. Get Started
2. Assess Compatibility
- We assess compatibility via our Dog Meet Your Match Form, and through email exchanges and/or phone calls with an adoption counselor.
3. Meet Our Dogs
- We hold twice monthly Dog Adoption Fairs at Weber’s Pet Supply in Fairfax, VA.
- Note: When you meet our dogs at adoption fairs, bring all your family members (including dogs!) so we can see how everyone interacts with the potential new member of the family.
4. Submit an Application
- We don’t post our Dog Adoption Application on our website.
- We will provide you with the application only after:
- we have discussed our adoption policies with you;
- you have met the dog(s)/puppy(s) you are interested in; and
- we both agree the adoption is a good potential match.
5. Conduct a Home Check
- We may conduct an in-home visit and interview to ensure that you can provide a safe environment.
- Care and behavioral training principles will be discussed.
6. Provide a Pre-adoption Trial
- We provide a two-week trial placement of the dog in your home, designed to ensure compatibility between you and the dog.
- A two-week trial placement contract is signed by you and SPCA NOVA. The contract can be terminated by either party during this period.
7. Finalize the Adoption
- After the trial period, a final adoption contract is signed by you and SPCA NOVA.
- We also provide you with a copy of the dog’s medical records at this time.