Who We Are & What We Do
The Mission of the SPCA of Northern Virginia is to end the abuse and homelessness of cats and dogs.
Who We Are
The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Northern Virginia (SPCA NOVA) is a volunteer-based, non-profit, private organization.
What We Do
Rescue and Rehabilitation
- We rescue and rehabilitate cats and dogs that are in the greatest need of help – victims of cruelty, neglect or abandonment.
- We give priority to rescuing stray friendly cats who are neglected or have been lost or abandoned outdoors.
- We also give priority to taking in cats and dogs from overcrowded local shelters.
- We provide veterinary care using local veterinary offices, rehabilitation with experienced volunteers, and professional training for dogs.
- Our experienced volunteers respond to citizen requests for help with cats and dogs in need.
- We seek loving homes for our cats and dogs and work diligently to find life-long matches between our cats and dogs and their adoptive families.
- We host regular adoption fairs for dogs at Weber’s in Fairfax, VA.
- We adopt cats and kittens throughout the year in their foster homes, and kittens at local Pet Valu stores during kitten season (typically Spring – Fall).
- Our Spay Inc. program provides discounted spay/neuter referrals for dogs, cats, and rabbits in Northern Virginia through a network of participating animal hospitals. We also partner with other local and regional spay/neuter programs to help provide access to affordable spay/neuter services.
- We help anyone who needs assistance – no income or residency requirements – and even provide lower-cost or free spay/neuter assistance to low-income residents.
- We educate government and community officials about the benefits of spaying/neutering pets.
Community Outreach and Education
- We provide information on our website, via email inquiries, and in our electronic and print newsletters about animal health and behavior issues, as well as the positive impact companion animals have on a person’s quality of life.
- We sponsor and participate in community events, such as adoption fairs, pet fiestas, and dog washes.
- We offer educational programs to local schools to teach children how to be safe around animals and be responsible pet guardians.