Apply to Become a Cat Foster
Why Do We Need Foster Homes for Cats?
- The SPCA of Northern Virginia does not have a shelter.
- All cats in our care live in foster homes until they are adopted.
- We can’t rescue cats without foster homes to care for them.
Cat Foster Process
1. We Assess Cats Prior to Foster Placement
Before going to a foster home, all SPCA NOVA cats have been:
- Assessed by an SPCA NOVA volunteer regarding health and temperament
- Examined by a veterinarian
- Tested for feline AIDS/leukemia (unless under 4-6 weeks of age)
- Vaccinated for rabies and distemper (as appropriate based on age and health)
- Spayed/neutered (as appropriate based on age and health)
- Treated for any known health issues (or treatment is underway)
Note: It is common for foster cats to need follow up vet care, at SPCA NOVA’s expense, while in foster care.
2. We Match Cats with Foster Homes
- You do not need prior experience with cats or fostering to become a foster parent.
- We match the needs of our cats with your level of experience, work and travel schedules, and home environment (e.g., living space, activity level in your home, other pets, children).
- To be a cat foster for SPCA NOVA, you must live in Virginia.
Cat Foster Home Application
After submitting your application,
- You will receive an email with additional information about the program.
- SPCA NOVA will contact you by phone to discuss our foster program, our adoption policies and procedures, and cats in our care that need foster homes.
Note: As a foster parent, you are agreeing to abide by our foster care and adoption policies and procedures.
If you don’t get an email reply within 24 hours, check your ‘SPAM’ folder. If you don’t find our reply, email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.